Communia is partnering up with EDRi, organising the “School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright” in Warsaw, Poland, November 5-6th. COMMUNIA advocates for policies that strengthen the public domain and increase access to and reuse of culture and knowledge, and we believe that a strong network of activists for European copyright reform is crucial for this. Events such as this 2-day course are essential to train future policy influencers and to strengthen the network of copyright reform advocates.
EDRi offers travel support for 20 participants, applications should be in before September 6.
EDRi offers a stipendum of maximum 300 EUR to cover transport and accommodation costs for up to 20 participants of the School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright and the CopyCamp conference in Warsaw. Non-funded participants will also be welcome, of course.
If you’re interested, please apply by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Application for The School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright” stating in no more than 200 words why you are interested in attending CopyCamp and the School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright, why you should be selected. We’re looking for people who have experience and/or plan to prepare campaigns on a national level, who can help building online campaigning tools, who have the ability to create networks with similar organisations on national and international levels and general knowledge of the main problems in the current EU copyright system.
From the full announcement over at the EDRi website:
For the first time in nearly a generation, the EU will update its copyright framework. This is a unique opportunity to reform and modernise Europe’s creaking, outdated, ill-adapted rules. Activists interested in taking up on this opportunity will get a crash course in effective copyright activism at a workshop in Warsaw on 5-6 November.
To help prepare activists for the challenge facing all of us, we are cooperating with Communia to organise an event and look for participants for this two-day EU copyright educational workshop – the School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright.
The School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright will take place 5 and 6 November in Warsaw, following the CopyCamp 2015 event which will take place 4 November.
The goals of the School of Rock(ing) EU Copyright are to:
- inform the participants on the current state of play of the EU copyright reform;
- provide the tools that can be used to campaign on national level;
- deepen the understanding of copyright activists of the EU legal and decision-making frameworks;
- inform participants on how it is possible to influence decision-making in the EU;
- identify possibilities for sharing of resources and talents such as translation and technical skills;
- create networks (and develop existing ones) of civil society activists to work together on common goals to reform
- copyright, in order to have a stronger voice and avoid duplicate efforts.
Should you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact EDRi at email@example.com.